What are the characteristics of a Dissertation? Well here are 7 characteristics that were presented in a lecture by Mr Changala to our MBA class of 2004 when I was studying with Management College of Southern Africa (MANCOSA). I hope you find them useful.
Characteristics of a Dissertation
1. An independent piece of work.
2. Shows detailed knowledge and understanding. It needs detail with a minimum of 35 references and
maximum of 100 references.
3. Shows critical and analytical thinking.
4. It illustrates the context of academic knowledge.
5. Has a high standard of communication.
6. Demonstrates original work and research.
7. Has an academic approach i.e. it is an academic document and must have appropriate format following accepted traditions of referencing styles. It should always include a bibliography and should normally be written in a very formal style using the third person.